Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Suggestion: Make mortars claimable

More
1 year 11 months ago #34140 by TH0M
Background
Mortar is unique in that it has tremendous potential if utilized correctly, just like other in-game assets (Tanks, IFVs, Cas) but unlike those assets, mortars are static, aren't claimable, & game logic in it's current state won't prevent you from using it if you're not in the 'correct squad' / 'same squad'

Common issues
I've done mortars plenty of times just to see these kinda things happen more than i'd like:

1) You make mortar squad, build mortars, resupply it, only to see your effort goes to waste because eventually some randoms will hop in just to waste the ammo / do nothing with the mortars other than 'just trying it out' just because they can (got in a tank you're not supposed to be in? kicked from the server is a certainty)

2) You made mortar squad but some random SL decided it's a good idea to put it somewhere else, told no one about it, just for them not to use it and or to abandon it (without demolishing it once they're done with it), most likely because they build it on the front line & they got overrun, preventing others to rebuild it elsewhere (leaving helis in the middle of nowhere & not using it / wasting it? kick is certainty)

3.a) Because of it's static nature, it's logical that most of the time you'll find mortars on the rear & because of that it's usually the last thing you'll have standing once all other friendly assets have been eliminated, making it the only tools with enough firepower to do something meaningful about the fact that your team was being steamrolled

3.b) but also because of it, mortar FOB usually gonna be the FOB where friendlies will spawn once all other FOBs have been eliminated, and what happens when randoms spawn on your mortar FOB? they'll hop in your mortar & the steamroll goes on

Arguments & reasoning
It's hard enough for mortars to do their job because most of the time it's users

1) must rely heavily on external factors JUST TO GET IT GOING more so than other assets (competent trans, competent commander, accurate intel / call-outs from teammates)

2) have to multitask more: coordinate, calculate, resupply, do supply runs in case trans is not an option, deal with intruders, maintain damaged emplacements, etc.) maintain rotation so your squad won't die of boredom chucking ammo bag back & forth the whole round or sitting idly by in some emplacement on watch duty

3) can't just relocate, find other spot & fire immediately the moment counter battery comes in (unlike other assets which are mobile)

Closing statements / questions / suggestions
1) Make mortars claimable & it's usage limited to Mortar Squad unless there's none

or

2.a) If things are to stay the way they were (first come first serve, mortars are free for grabs), what should players do in case "common issues"--as stated)--resurfaced? other than reporting it to admins because they can't do anything about it because it's not against the rule (although hopefully you'll get my point on how it's detrimental, not fun, not sensible to let it all goes 'Mad Max')

2.b) what were the reasons behind the decision not to make mortars claimable? what are the Pros & Cons

3) if you're the ones in those kinda situation, what would you do?

Please add to the discussion your own thoughts cuz i'm genuinely curious what others' opinions are regarding this topic not just from admins' perspective but HOG's regulars as well
The following user(s) said Thank You: SLATuAn
More
1 year 11 months ago #34278 by FREB_CRF
Replied by FREB_CRF on topic Suggestion: Make mortars claimable
I rarely see mortars being used because they have such a demanding logistics profile. I don't see the reason to take up another squad slot and make them even less frequently used or available especially if the squad that claims them gets wasted and is ineffectual.
More
1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago #34297 by TH0M
Replied by TH0M on topic Suggestion: Make mortars claimable
Eyy finally, someone responded :D

I rarely see mortars being used because they have such a demanding logistics profile.

"Logistically demanding"
-Even more reason to have a dedicated squad doing it then, no?

I don't see the reason to take up another squad slot

"No room for specific mortar squad"
Nah, just kick / resign the freekit squad, let's take AAS Black Gold / Bamyan for example:
---1 TANK
---2 APC
---3 CAS
---4 TRANS
---5 INF
---6 INF
---7 INF
---8 INF
---9 INF

Any of those 5 INF SQ could easily be turned into dedicated MORTAR SQ, that would left us with 2 INF SQ Defending, 2 INF SQ Attacking, 1 MORTAR SQ providing support for both, especially since mortars can only be placed on a single FOB close to each other

make them even less frequently used or available

"It's rarely used / available"
I think the reason it's rarely used is more because of either one of these reasons:
a. people (mostly newbies) don't really know how to use it
b. people know how to use it but don't want to be stuck chugging ammo for the mortar / stuck on watch duty the whole round (which could simply be mitigated by rotating the squad member responsibility tbh)
c. people know how to use it & are using it but can't do anything when randoms decided to hop on their hard-built mortar
d. people know how to use it, they want to use it, but don't want to go through the hassle of building & maintaining it
e. the idea of engaging the enemy directly in a firefight (be it small arms or assets) is more engaging for most people (which is understandable)

especially if the squad that claims them gets wasted and is ineffectual

"If it's claimable & the claimer performed poorly"
That's why there's resign command for it, just resign them, then it'll be free for grab.
Pretty much what happens when friendly APC SQ take on the role of TANK SQ & using tank assets when there's is no TANK SQ available either because the TANK SQ gave up or got disbanded for whatever reason

Again, i don't see the drawbacks (if any) outweighs the benefits, & since it rarely got the love it deserves for whatever reason, i'm simply asking for reassurance that whoever's doing mortar should get the same privilege (and scrutiny) with their mortar as with other ASSET SQ with their asset, if not for anything else, just to make it easier to do / coordinate / administer the already 'boring' mortar role.

Nonetheless, thanks for your input & please provide more response either towards this specific reply or other points in my original post if you still feel like it

Cheers
Last edit: 1 year 10 months ago by TH0M.
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds